Vera Kelgart

Vera Kelgart
Foto: Dan-Tuyet Tham, 2021

tirsdag den 9. august 2016

The work clothes of creativity

The Artist's Tool Poems are meant as inspiring examples of meditative imagery. Each poem is structured as a visualization meditation, starting with the person relaxing, breathing etc., then imagining.

I got the heart shape from Donna Eden's Three Heart Hook-up, an energy exercise for centering and nurturing yourself. In the context of the poem it's meant to show the visualization as 'heartfelt', a true meeting with an inner source of creativity.

The character's creative identity will express itself through a garment, naturalistic or fantastic. The person in the poem then becomes a purposeful creative agent on an inner scene.
It is possible to experience deep feelings of self through meditative imagery. But will the creative identity necessarily translate into garments, 'spiritual style'? No, not for all of us. But after all, clothes are a symbol of identity in the real world, so why not in the imaginary?

My own interest in this form of imagery was sparked around the millennium, when I attended a spiritual women's group. Visualizing ourselves as Avalon priestesses om a magic island, the woman guiding the meditations told us to prepare for 'a comprehensive wardrobe'. We were encouraged to imagine ourselves dressed in gossamer silk with gold trimmings. I loved it, but the funny thing is, none of those luxurious dresses has stayed with my inner self.

When meditating now, I visualize myself wrapped in a soft white velour bath towel, tied as a sarong. I guess I've just stepped out of the mountain spring!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar

Blog-arkiv